I'm not buying it

So, May 1 has come and gone and here's where I'm at.

So far so splendid.

I realise I should have started this experiment from pay day and not the 1st of the month which I did as a nice obvious start date. 

I did go to the Wills Moody jumble sale in Islington just before the trial and picked up a cashmere cardigan with a fur collar for £10 which could have set me back around £100 in vintage shops I've seen them. I was also swayed by a dress from a high street store that I've had my eye on for ages which was only £3.

Since May 1 I probably haven't put myself in as many tempting situations as I usually would. Still, over the bank holiday I ventured via some boutiques, a boot sale - and so it begins.

Check the progress of my pins at http://pinterest.com/hackneyotter/im-not-buying-it/

Shopping on the first day of summer, I could easily have been down nearly £40 on either of these two beauties. They're both just my colours, one offs in my mind and not too pricey all things considered.

Dress £35 (photo by Tori Mayo)
Skirt £38 (photo by Tori Mayo)

I also spotted these navy shoes in Beyond Retro. Not too shabby at £18 and perfect for summer swing dancing.

Blue pumps £18, Beyond Retro (photo by Tori Mayo)

I couldn't help but notice this little number on sale on Facebook which would also be swell for my holiday next month.

Vintage swimming costume, $78, Ooh La La! Vintage Swap and Sell Shop, facebook.

Whenever I'm in the market for something practical I still like to feel I unearthed it or discovered a unique version. The need suddenly feels ever greater when something really special presents itself.

I could use a new mobile phone cover and I feel I hit the jackpot at the Princess May boot sale on Kingsland Road. I met a lovely Greek lady selling these charming covers. 

made-to-order iPhone cover £12-£14 (photo by Tori Mayo)

She incorporates photos and illustrations from her granddad's postcard collection into the kind of old-school covers I'd like to have had on my Major Morgan or Speak & Spell.

Postcard used for iPhone cover design (photo by Tori Mayo)

Meeting the lady herself and hearing how she turned something so personal into an adorable product was a really endearing experience.

I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from buying one of these once this experiment officially ends...

It's this part of shopping I find really difficult not to indulge in.

Still, no slip-ups so far.

I have to realise there will always be nice things out there and I need to learn to detach a sense of self I see in those which tempt me...











1 comment:

  1. Oh I love the beach outfit, the shoes and the iphone covers. I'm gonna go to that car boot sale to get that cover (hopefully she will be there). And in the meantime during the restraining period, I thought you might like to know about this https://www.thevintageguidetolondon.com/win-50-spending-spree-fashion-accessories-truc/

    ReplyDelete