I'm not buying it

I've never dieted, given anything up for lent, stuck to a New Year's resolution or broken a habit.

However, since I started earning £30 a week working as a chambermaid at 15 I've developed a bit of a problem. I've been snapping up a little of what takes my fancy to bolster my wardrobe, add to the shoe pile, spruce up my living space and top up the vinyl library.

Nothing too unusual there you might say. I'm not talking major credit card debt, hoarding or bankruptcy, but the overall effect is not be able to say no to clothes which really suit me, 'bargains', 'rare finds' and things which are 'really me'.


As William Morris said 'Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful'. The result is I have rather a lot of clothes, shoes, accessories and vinyl!!

(photo by Tori Mayo)

I used to run a vintage bric-a-brac stall down Brick Lane. Under the guise of shopping for the stall, I'd often end up buying bits for myself and not to sell cause they were cheap, had that one-off quality and I wouldn't be able to go back for them.
I don't have to tell vintage shoppers about the allure of car boot sales, charity shops and eBay. The adrenalin rush of getting your hands on that certain something is virtually unrivalled. I can't seem to shake this instinct. I have the kind of eyesight which is usually reserved for ornithologists!

Justifying these acquisitions is second nature - 'it was £1', 'it's just what I needed to complete my outfit', 'it's made for me', 'it might not be there if I go back'.

As a creative I've always had a keen eye for fashion and design. I know a fair bit about designers, art history, classic designs. Knowing this only exacerbates my curiosity, makes me want to learn more even if its via the medium of retail.

I used to make jewellery and weave friendship bracelets as a kid. Over the course of my foundation year and photography degree I was constantly producing artwork. DJing and knitting have been creative outlets too. These days, aside from the odd photo, I feel I only really 'create' and express myself through my choice of clothes and interior design at home. I depict my taste through crockery, cushions and clothes.

It's the acquisition itself as much as having the actual thing. But I definitely feel certain items are an extension of my creativity and sense of style. These sartorial purchases act as an artistic form of self expression. I pride myself on buying lovely pieces which go towards completing an outfit or a collection.
I don't grow tired of most things I buy as I choose carefully and appreciate them years down the line. Consequently these things mount up Rather than buying this seasons look from the high street, unearthing that hidden gem wins hands down every time. It means once I've discovered something I consider perfect I can't let it go, if its less than say, £40.

Perfect example This weekend while out and about in Dalston a royal blue jumper hanging on a rail behind the mesh of a stall on my street caught my eye. I recognised it immediately as being from Primark. I'd bought the same one about a year ago but sadly had to take it back as it didn't fit. Through the mesh I could see it was the right size. I asked how much it was. At £2 I had to get it. I'd only regret it if I didn't.

Bits I acquired last weekend

Next I went to the charity shop
Traid on Kingsland Road to drop off a couple of bags of unwanted clothes. I had a browse around and picked up a gorgeous black leather belt with gold geometric details, from Topshop for £6.99. Good skills I reckon.

Up the road in
Pelicans & Parrots I could have easily bought 10 gorgeous vintage bits - a green wool skirt, a beautifully cut black coat, black leather handbag to replace my trashed Primark bag, stunning jewellery box, strange unidentified wooden block thing with a magnifying glass, a gold link/chain bracelet and a really unusual necklace.



This kind of expenditure might be incremental, hardly breaking the bank, but now, with bending rails in my wardrobe and repeated, regretful dips in the cash flow, I'm going to embark on an experiment.

Its time for the 'Didn't Buy It Detox'.

Starting May 1, I won't be buying anything stylish until May 31. Practical yes, stylish no.

Instead of buying things I really want, I'll photograph them instead. Plan is to post the pics here and on Pinterest each time, creating a record of the objects I've passed up.

This won't include a pair of black high-waisted jeans I'm currently bidding for on eBay. These are to replace a pair I lived in until they wore out recently.

I promise to report back on any slip-ups and sneaky purchases!

Weaknesses:
Cute vintage clothes perfect for a swing dancing trip to Como
Clear glass espresso saucers for some little glass cups which don't have saucers. I haven't managed to find any which work yet.
A plain black dress to go with the belt I've just bought

Anything I'm looking to replace

So this is what I'm gearing up to do.
I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the virtual mood board of my taste rather than seeing money disappearing from my account.
Also I'm dying to know if I can actually do this. 
Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. So, how is that going? Any slip-ups so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....no slip-ups so far.

    update about to follow

    ReplyDelete